- Meat and poultry
- Popular chicken
- Easy chicken
- Quick chicken
Use this creamy chicken salad to fill sandwiches or wraps, top slices of toasted baguette for tasty canapes, or serve over a crisp green salad. The homemade mayonnaise is what sets this recipe apart!
22 people made this
- 450g skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 250ml olive oil
- 325g halved seedless red grapes
- 110g coarsely chopped pecans
- 125g coarsely crumbled blue cheese
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:30min
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add the chicken and simmer until cooked through, approximately 10 minutes. Drain, cool and cut into cubes.
- While boiling chicken, make the mayonnaise: Using a blender or hand-held electric mixer, beat the egg, mustard, salt, water and vinegar until light and frothy. Add the oil a tablespoon at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Once mixture begins to thicken, you can add oil more quickly. Continue until mixture reaches the consistency of creamy mayonnaise. NOTE: The more oil you add, the thicker it gets; you may not need the full cup of oil.
- In a large bowl, toss together the chicken, grapes, pecans, blue cheese and 225ml of the mayonnaise. Stir until evenly coated, adding more mayonnaise if necessary. Refrigerate until serving.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(39)
Reviews in English (32)
Do bother with the homemade mayo unlike the other person suggested. It's great!! Made this for a baby shower and printed out extra recipes because I knew I would need them to give away. Sure enough - I gave all of them out. Wonder flavors but you do have to like blue cheese. Recipe is good as is - no need to deviate. I have made this several times.-19 Apr 2005
This is a wonderfully unique and flavorful recipe! I've made it several times. I have only needed little more than 1/2 cup olive oil to get to a consistency I like and still had a lot of mayo left over. Works well with wheat bread or just lettuce.-12 Feb 2005
I made this recipe following it exactly. The mayonnaise just tasted awful so I used regular mayonnaise (with a little sugar) and it all turned out great. Really delicious.-10 Jul 2005